Summer! It brightens our mood and encourages late nights and indulgences beyond our wildest fantasies – especially if you jet off to another country. As amazing as that might sound, it can be hard to keep yourself on track during summer if you’re working hard to keep fit. However, this time of year brings some great possibilities to keep yourself healthy and refreshed without keeping you clogged up inside of a gym and eating dry foods.
So if you’re deciding to take a vacation, whether it be abroad or right on your home turf, here’s some tips to help you stay on track of your fitness.
- Plan your meals ahead – Planning ahead means you’re less likely to indulge yourself whilst on the go. If you already have a plan for your meals, you’re not as likely to go off track and you’ll feel more in control of what you are eating.
- Add nuts to your fruit snacks – To keep your blood sugar levels stable throughout the day, try snacking on unsalted nuts mixed with fruit, both tasty and good for you.
- Use olive oil on salads – Opt for olive oil packed with essential fats over creamy dressings like mayonnaise or ketchup for a lighter lunch without diminishing flavour.
- Walk where possible – Take the opportunity this summer to explore a new town or city by foot; get some fresh air and discover new sights whilst keeping fit, too.
- Make the most of a swimming pool – Source a local swimming pool and go for a dip – it’s a perfect way to cool down and exercise your whole body at once. Nothing like a refreshing dip on a hot summer’s day, is there?! There might even be water aerobics classes or water polo games to get involved in.
- Drink plenty of water – being outdoors a lot in summer means you need to keep hydrated. Try drinking plenty of water to help detox your body and keep you healthy. Green tea is a great natural choice and a perfect swap for regular tea as you’re reducing milk and sugar intake, too.
- Opt for low calorie beverages – If you’re drinking alcohol, try reducing sugar by using tonic or soda water as a mixer, it’s a lot healthier and doesn’t diminish taste too much, especially if combined with a splash of lime. Also try swapping a beer for a glass of red wine to keep calories down without dampening your evening.
- Rent a bike – Loads of cities now have bikes that you can rent, so take one for a spin! Explore a new place whilst keeping fit and letting the wind blow through your hair.
Don’t think that temptations can hinder you. There’s always opportunities to maintain your fitness and still feel great whilst doing so. So if you’re jetting off abroad, holidaying in the UK or spending a summer at home, there’s no reason why you can’t enjoy yourself whilst still being good to your body.